|Previous Lesson||Next Lesson|
- They might be giants Meet the Elements
- Tom Lehrer Elements Song also sung by Harry Potter and spongebob
- Review work from last year on elements, compound and mixtures. Encourage students to use periodic table in planner if they find it useful. Some simple definitions are provided on the first slide of this powerpointFile:Introduction to the periodic table.ppt
Activities to introduce new ideasEdit
- Copy the AQA periodic table onto A4 and allow students to colour it in to show metal and non metals
- Use activities on this power point to explore chemical symbols. File:Introduction to the periodic table.ppt
Activities to practice applying new knowledgeEdit
- Watch a few minutes of this episode of a Batman cartoon (start 3 mins in). Batman meets robots with the properties of various metals. (The Metal Men). Use this a stimulus for students to design a superhero with the properties of one element. Students should be encouraged to include as much scientific detail as possible.
- Choose one comic from the comic book periodic table and make a powerpoint slide that explains how good the science is.
- Periodic Table Quiz - might appeal to some students (Warning - not much learning)
- Formula activity - for higher ability groups Instructions and Activity Sheets
- No demonstrations have been added to this lesson plan
- No class practicals have been added to this lesson plan
- No links have been added to this lesson plan
- No misconceptions have been added to this lesson plan